When cooking with oil or greasy meat, there’s always the possibility of the grease igniting. Here’s how to prevent a grease fire from ruining more than just your dinner.
Grease Fire Dos
- Put on oven mitts to protect your hands.
- Eliminate the heat source by turning off the stove or grill.
- If possible, put out the fire with an extinguisher.
- If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, cover the pan with a lid or a towel soaked in cold water. If it’s your grill, shut the lid.
- As a last resort, cut off the fire’s oxygen supply by smothering it with baking soda or salt.
- We can’t emphasize this enough – always keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen or by your grill. Put it in clear sight and make it easy to access.
Grease Fire Don’ts
- NEVER throw water on a grease fire. It will actually splash and spread the flames, making a fire harder to control.
- NEVER use flour or sugar. Rather than helping smother the fire, these can actually cause a powder explosion and do even more damage.
- Don’t pick up the pan. The risk of spilling grease is too high.
- Avoid touching anything until it’s completely cool.
- Don’t hesitate to call 911 if you can’t handle the situation.
- Never attempt to deal with a fire without first protecting yourself, and if it gets out of control, get everyone out safely rather than continuing to fight it. Remember, the things in your house can be replaced.